Monday, April 16, 2012

Ch Ch Ch Chia

I have been using chia seeds off and on for a couple years. Chia seeds are tiny little seeds that are BIG powerhouses. Chia is said to help in weight loss because they reduce food cravings and block some absorption. They hold tons of water so they can help in hydration. Chia has more Omega-s fatty acids than Salmon and is easier to digest than flax seeds. We order ours from Nuts.com.
  • 2x the amount of protein of any grains
  • 3x the amount of antioxidants of blueberries
  • 5x more calcium than milk
  • 2x the amount of potassium in a banana
  • 3x the iron of spinach

We love them at our house. I soak them and use them in everything. To soak chia, put 2/3 cup of chia in 4 cups water. I drop them in the water and shake them once or twice for the first couple hours after I make them. I use a canning jar so that I can shake them easily. The seeds will swell up and make a gel. You can store them in the refrigerator and they will keep for 2 weeks. We put a spoonful in oatmeal, on salads, smoothies and even in soups and sauces. I like them in juices and water as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment