Tuesday, May 22, 2012

Vegetable Barley Soup

I like to make dinner on the fly.  I like to improvise.  Tonight I threw together a couple recipes I have seen and using what I had one hand, made a hearty vegetable soup that was a hit with the family.

In 1 T of olive oil saute the following:
One large onion sliced thinly
3 carrots grated
2 cloves of garlic buzzed in the food processor

In large stock pot combine
8 cups of vegetable broth or the equivalent
2 zucchini squash finely diced
1 can of diced tomatoes
1 can of great northern beans
1 can of organic green beans
The corn from one ear of sweet corn
I celery stalk finely sliced
2 cans of tomato sauce
1/2 a head of cabbage finely diced
2 tsp of oregano
2 tsp dried basil
2 tsp black pepper

Bring to boil
Add 2 cups of barley
Reduce to medium heat and simmer for 20 minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment